Tuesday 28 June 2011

Brandon Flowers - Was It Something I Said?



Today brought the first bit of sun for a while, so I thought it only appropriate to crack out a song that never fails to put a smile on my face - especially since Brandon Flowers has only just made his comeback with the awesome Killers. Was It Something I Said? is upbeat, catchy, and never quite what it appears to be on the surface. The riffs in the song are great, intricate enough to draw your attention, but not so complex that they draw away from the rest of the song, and the vocals are truly as strong as they've always been. For me, the lyrics are perhaps the most interesting element of the song, telling the story of a love in decline - beginning with an almost marriage, but ending with bad news (I heard the church bells ringing in my head and I'd take them everywhere I'd go/ Valentina met a dealer and I heard they had a baby five months ago.) This is a song that manages to be interesting both on the surface and underneath, and it's worth a listen for that reason at least.

-faithfulradiowhore

No comments:

Post a Comment